Wednesday 22 September 2010

From the Archives - M. A Abstract - Overview of my Research and Outcomes


Abstract - M.A Dissertation (2009) 'What is a Multi Sensory and Participatory Arts Practice?'

In my research, documented in this dissertation, I set out to answer my main research question ‘what is a multi sensory and participatory art practice?’ In order to address this using my practice, I needed to first review my previous practice so far. In doing so I explored the relationship between the dual elements within it - workshops with visually impaired and blind people and my more solitary experience of making artworks.

In reviewing my own previous practice I was looking for ways to move it forward, to understand where it should be taken. I also needed to know where such a practice would fit within the art world. In my literature review chapter I look to the work of other artists whose work also focuses on either the sensory, participatory or both. These explorations helped me to position my own future practice, by affirming what I wanted to achieve and equally confirming what I did not.

Through my own experience and looking into action research within my research methods chapter, I realised that the most effective way to research would be to ‘do’, namely to work with people within a participatory and sensory situation I had initiated. Therefore I carried out three such events at Manchester Art Gallery with friends and colleagues from different aspects of the art world participating. My examiners also participated in the third event as I felt the most effective way of understanding what I was trying to achieve, was to be within it, as a participant.

Through these events, I came to understand, as an artist, that a focus on the senses and participation can lead to heightened forms of social interaction. The multi sensory and participatory methods that I developed for my practice over the course of this research enabled participants to become open to the situation I had placed them in, leading to an exploration of their sensory selves, ways of interacting with art and other people, through being given the task of creating an artwork in response to one I had presented to them.

What I discovered was important to me about my practice was its potential to produce a collaboration between my own imagination and those of the participants. The result was a mutual discovery of how far the story of one artwork can be taken and the variety of insights that occur along the way, both in terms of creative ideas and questions the process as a whole can generate. Through this questioning the boundaries between art, other people and the world around us are both highlighted and blurred.

For images of the events please follow the link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/multisensory/sets/72157623065055295/

No comments:

Post a Comment